This is not only delicious but an explosive combo: Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette. If you bought a generous amount of watermelon and are already tired of eating it at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, diversify your diet and make something new. You will end up with an unusual, light, and refreshing salad that takes just 20 minutes to prepare. And the combination of flavors is just explosive!
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Amazon & Walmart affiliate links are most often used.
This salad can be an interesting addition to the festive table and an ideal dish for a romantic evening – it can be served with white wine, champagne, or a cocktail.
Some Useful Tips
- You can also add nuts to taste, for example, almonds or pistachios, seeds, or a little greens.
- Remember that cheese and watermelon must be cold.
- Always use high-quality ingredients for the best taste.
- If possible, prepare the lime-cilantro vinaigrette in advance to give the flavors a chance to develop.
- If you are serving more than 2 people, substitute other serving bowls or use additional small, round watermelons.
- You can also substitute strawberries for the watermelon.
- If you would like additional vegetables, you can add red onion or cucumber.
What Can You Serve with this Watermelon Feta Salad?
Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette pairs well with whatever you’re grilling, whether that be portobello mushroom veggie burgers, burgers or hot dogs, or black bean burgers. Moreover, it is also good with picnic sandwiches like Grilled Chicken & Brie Paninis, BBQ jackfruit sandwiches, or chickpea shawarma wraps, etc.
If you have extra watermelon, make watermelon margaritas; otherwise, you can also try classic margaritas.
How to make Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette ahead of time?
This salad tastes best when fresh. If you need to make it ahead of time, you can peel and cube the watermelon and prepare the other ingredients, then store each ingredient in the fridge in separate containers. Simply mix all ingredients and add the dressing just a few minutes before serving.
How to store?
Watermelon has high water content, this is not a salad that sits well for a long time. So, it is suggested to make and serve it right away. However, if you have some leftovers, you can store them in a tight-lid glass container for a night or two but always test before serving.
Can you make this salad without Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette?
Yes, you can! This salad tastes great with just watermelon, fresh arugula, and cheese. You can totally skip adding the dressing and or add some honey, pepper, and salt, before serving.
Some health Benefits
Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette is beneficial for our body. It normalizes digestion, reduces the calorie content of the diet, removes toxins, reduces the risk of diabetes and heart disease, and improves metabolism and skin condition. Moreover, the Feta cheese used in this salad is lower in fat than many other kinds of cheese. However, it can be considered a reasonable option when you are following a strict diet plan.
To Sum Things Up
This salad is an easy-to-prepare and healthy dish for a summer meal. Very simple and refreshing. Next time you have a juicy watermelon, give this salad a try and I promise it will change the way you look at watermelons forever.
If you tried this watermelon salad recipe, then share your experience in the comment box. We would love to hear from you!
An Explosive Combo: Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped (+ extra sprigs for garnish)
- 3 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- Sea salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- 2 small seedless watermelons chilled, cut in half
- 4 oz Feta Cheese cut small
- 4 cups argula
- To prepare the vinaigrette, add all ingredients to a medium glass bowl and whisk to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, and set aside.
- Cut watermelons in half, then carefully remove and reserve the flesh in a large bowl. (Cut the watermelon into bite-sized pieces, if necessary).
- Pat each empty watermelon rind inside with a paper towel to dry. Set aside to use as serving bowls for the finished salad.
- Add Feta cheese and arugula to the bowl with the watermelon. Drizzle the vinaigrette on top and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Gently toss to combine.
- To serve, transfer the watermelon-Feta mixture to the reserved watermelon rinds and garnish with sprigs of fresh cilantro if desired.
What other types of dressings can I use for my Watermelon Feta Salad?
You can use Honey-Lime, Balsamic, and/or Verjus Vinaigrette.
What if I don’t have fresh lime juice? Can I substitute with bottled?
Any time you can, try to use fresh lime juice if a recipe calls for it, as the flavor of fresh lime juice is much brighter and more intense than the bottled variety. But if you find that you forgot to purchase your fresh limes, you may reach for a lime juice bottle.