Is there a sandwich more famous and perfect than the classic BLT? Obviously NO! Crispy salty bacon, juicy and ripe tomatoes, crispy, refreshing salad, complemented by Creamy Avocado Spread and enclosed in two slices of perfectly toasted bread. Unsurprisingly, this sandwich has become a legend. These simple BLT sandwiches are quick but delicious. Such a solid sandwich is perfect for breakfast and dinner and as a hearty snack.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Amazon & Walmart affiliate links are most often used.
What is a BLT?
One of America’s most famous and popular sandwiches, BLT Sandwich owes its name to three ingredients: Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato. Classic BLT consists of five ingredients: bacon, lettuce, Tomato, spread, and bread. Until 1900, these sandwiches existed in the form of small tea sandwiches, which were later expanded to the classic sandwich. In America, it gained popularity after the emergence of supermarkets, which provided year-round access to its ingredients. Now, this sandwich is popular globally.
Here are some tips for Your Classic BLT with a Twist
- Prepare the Creamy Avocado Spread in advance and refrigerate so that the aromas of spices and all herbs mix well.
- Make the sandwiches just before serving to prevent the bread from getting soaked.
- You can use different types of bread, sauces, lettuce, tomatoes, and bacon to bring your average BLT to the next level.
- Thick cut crispy bacon is perfect for this recipe
Best tomato choice(s) for these BLT sandwiches
Take rather large tomatoes, as ripe and fleshy as possible. For this sandwich, the quality of the tomatoes matters, and, of course, they are tastiest in summer. Here we will suggest you spend some time deciding which tomato will be used. You should select meaty and thicker tomatoes like heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes. Ripened tomatoes are softer and filled with more water; that’s why they are less ideal for BLT. We have used medium heirloom tomatoes because they are firmer and flavorful.
How to choose your lettuce for these BLTs
The main thing is that lettuce should be fresh. Inspect it carefully for damage. Leaves should not be lethargic. The stems should be free of mucus.
When choosing lettuce, make a preference for compact, strong, symmetrical shapes. But leaves with very hard heads of cabbage are best avoided because they will no longer be so tasty. Moreover, lettuce salads are delicate vegetables; it is difficult for them to tolerate transportation and storage. So, keep these things in mind. My favorite is a toss-up between romaine and iceberg. But romaine is my number 1 choice.
How to choose bread for your classic BLT?
Sourdough bread white bread is perfect for a soft and mild BLT sandwich. But if you like some sweetness and something heartier, try ciabatta or brioche bread. If you choose a softer bread, you should brown the outside in a pan on the stove. In this way, the bread will withstand the fillings. But if you are like me? Good old Strohman’s from the grocery store is perfect for an ordinary night at home. Also, you may find this delicious Blueberry Maple Lemonade will hit the spot with your BLT.
Bacon substitutes if original bacon isn’t your thing. I won’t hold that against you.
If you don’t have bacon, you can use pancetta, Canadian bacon, sliced ham, or turkey bacon. Each ingredient has its own delicious flavor!
Can I make this Classic BLT with creamy Avocado spread ahead?
A classic BLT sandwich is the best option for a work or school lunch. But they can get soggy after an hour. To keep the BLT sandwiches from getting soggy, store the tomatoes and avocado spread separately and add them before serving.
To Sum up this awesome Classic BLT sandwich
With these sandwiches, you can leave the office, sit on a park bench and enjoy the flavor of your lunch. Or, if you prefer, you can stay in the office and tease employees with the bacon scent. So, you must try it.
Did you make this BLT with a creamy Avocado Spread recipe? If yes, then share your experience in the comment box. And don’t forget to follow us on our social media platforms.
Classic BLT with Creamy Avocado Spread with a Twist
Avocado Spread Ingredients:
- 1 large ripe avocado cut into small chunks
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt full-fat
- 1 large garlic clove finely minced
- 1½ tbsp fresh lime juice (approximately ½ lime)
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- Sea salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
Basic Sandwich Ingredients:
- 6 slices bacon
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted, melted
- 8 leaves Boston Bibb lettuce
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes (preferably red and yellow)
- Sea salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
Avocado Spread Instructions:
- Place the avocado, Greek yogurt, and garlic in a medium bowl and combine thoroughly with a fork, leaving some small chunks of avocado in the mixture. Add the lime juice and cumin, and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine and cover tightly. Set aside.
- Line a microwave-safe plate with paper towels and place the bacon strips on it.
- Cover the bacon with more paper towels and place in the microwave for 3-4 minutes on high, or until bacon is cooked through, but not too crispy. (Cook time will vary, so check after 2 minutes and adjust remaining time as needed).
- Brush one side of each piece of bread with the melted butter. Heat grill pan over medium heat and place bread, buttered side down, on the pan.
- Apply light pressure to each slice with a spatula, being careful not to move the bread in the process. Once nice grill marks have formed, remove from heat and set aside.
- Allow bread to cool slightly, then add avocado spread to 2 of the slices on the non-grilled side. Divide the lettuce, tomato, and cooked bacon slices between the two sandwiches and top each with the remaining pieces of grilled bread.
- Cut in half and serve immediately with your favorite side dish or potato chips. Enjoy!
You can also check out our favorites here.