Start your morning off right with a delicious breakfast treat. This Maine blueberry sour cream coffee cake recipe will become a family favorite!
Coffee cakes are so popular for a breakfast or as an addition to your brunch. That’s because they are delicious, rich, and perfect for those who enjoy a sweet treat.
This blueberry coffee cake goes wonderfully with a hot cup of coffee or milk. So if you’re looking for a delicious way to start your day, be sure to try a coffee cake. You won’t be disappointed!
I particularly love this cake because it is super easy to make. It is quick, tasty, wholesome, and the flavors are just on spot.
You are able to enjoy the tanginess of sour cream, and a pop of sweetness with blueberries.
If you are someone who likes to enjoy a blend of unique flavors, this cake is definitely for you!
Maine Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe
This blueberry sour cream coffee cake is the perfect way to start your day! With a crumbly topping and delicious blueberries, this breakfast treat will have you looking forward to waking up in the morning.
What makes blueberry coffee cake so moist and fluffy?
There are a few things that contribute to the moist, fluffy texture of blueberry coffee cake.
First, the butter and sugar are creamed together until they’re light and fluffy before any other ingredients are added. This creates a nice base for the cake batter.
Second, sour cream is often used in the batter, which also helps to create a moist texture.
Finally, adding blueberries to the batter helps to create pockets of moisture throughout the cake.
All of these factors contribute to the moist, fluffy texture that makes blueberry coffee cake so delicious!
Shop My Kitchen
Components of a Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
There are two main components of a coffee cake making it quite simple and easy to make. These are:
- The base: The base is what resembles the cake. It is spongy, moist, tasteful, and rich. This is where sour cream and blueberries are used. It is pretty much like any other cake.
- The crumb: The crumb is the topping. This part makes it so much like a cobbler. The crumb is made with flour, butter, sugar, and walnuts. So, you get a crunchy element, as well.
The best thing about this cake is that it is a single-step cake. It means you don’t have to bake elements separately.
You can prepare the two components and stack them upon each other and bake. It is very convenient for someone who is in a hurry.
Tips for making Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Here are a few things you must keep in mind when making this tasteful cake:
- I have used walnuts in the crumb, but you can use pecans or almonds as well. The main idea is to bring in a crunchy element. It can be anything you like.
- I prefer to use sweet cream butter instead of regular unsalted butter. That’s because sweet cream butter makes the cake richer.
- Don’t overmix the cake batter.
- Always keep the blueberries for the last. Never use an electric mixer for mixing blueberries. Use a spatula to fold them in so as not to break open the berries.
- Always insert a toothpick or fork before taking the cake out of the oven. Once it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Wait until the cake is completely cool before you serve it.
NOTE: This cake tastes particularly amazing in the morning with a cup of freshly brewed coffee. You can also serve it with tea.
So, without any waiting, try this amazing cake recipe today. Let me know what you loved about this one!
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter, unsalted sweet cream cut into cubes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, unsalted sweet cream softened
- 4 eggs, large
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 cups blueberries, fresh
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×5 baking pan with pam baking spray.
2. Using a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Using a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
4. Beat in the eggs and sour cream until combined.
5. Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until combined and smooth.
6. Fold in the blueberries until combined.
7. Pour the batter into the baking dish and smooth evenly and set aside.
8. Using a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon until combined.
9. Using your fingers, crumble the butter into the dry ingredients to create a crumble.
10. Sprinkle onto the top of the batter.
11. Place the cake into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
12. Allow to cool completely before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 850Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 187mgSodium: 845mgCarbohydrates: 109gFiber: 3gSugar: 59gProtein: 12g