This Maine Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake will be a hit at your next brunch. You will see that coffee cakes are so popular for a breakfast or as an addition to your brunch. That’s because they are delicious, rich, and perfect for those who enjoy a sweet treat. Coffee cakes go wonderfully with a hot cup of coffee or milk.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Amazon & Walmart affiliate links are most often used.
Visit my list of Baking, Cooking, Garden, and Kitchen Appliances favorites here on Amazon.
The combination in this coffee cake is sour cream and blueberries. Thinking about the flavor profile, coffee is rich and has a bitter note to it. Sour cream is slightly tangy or acidic, whereas blueberries offer sweetness. So, logically speaking, the flavors offer a perfect balance. (drinking coffee with this delicious blueberry sour cream coffee cake)
I particularly love this cake because it is super easy to make. It is quick, tasteful, wholesome, and the flavors are just on spot. You are able to enjoy the tanginess of sour cream, and a pop of sweetness with blueberries. If you are someone who likes to enjoy a blend of unique flavors, this cake is definitely for you!
Components of a Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
There are two main components of Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake. Thus making it quite simple and easy to make. These are:
- The base: the base is what resembles the cake. It is spongy, moist, tasteful, and rich. This is where sour cream,and blueberries are used. It is pretty much like any other cake. But it is more decadent.
- The crumb: The crumb is the topping. This part makes it so much like a cobbler. The crumb is made with flour, butter, sugar, and walnuts. So, you get a crunchy element as well.
The best thing about this cake is that it is a single-step cake. It means you don’t have to bake elements separately. You can prepare the two components and stack them upon each other and bake. It is very convenient for someone who is in a hurry.
Tips for making Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Here are a few things you must keep in mind when making this tasteful cake:
- I have used walnuts in the crumb, but you can use pecans or almonds as well. The main idea is to bring in a crunchy element. It can be anything you like.
- I prefer to use sweet cream butter instead of regular unsalted butter. That’s because sweet cream butter makes the cake rich.
- Don’t overmix the cake batter.
- Always keep the blueberries for the last. Never use an electric mixer for mixing blueberries. Use a spatula to fold them in the end gently.
- You can make the crumb in an electric mixer or by using your hands.
- Always insert a toothpick or fork before taking the cake out of the oven. Once it comes clean, it means the cake is ready.
- Wait till the cake is completely cool before you serve it.
NOTE: This cake tastes particularly amazing in the morning with a cup of freshly brewed coffee. You can also serve it with tea.
So, without any waiting, try this amazing cake recipe today. Let me know what you loved about this one!
Maine Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1- 9×5 baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×5 baking pan with pam baking spray.
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and sour cream until combined.
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until combined and smooth.
- Fold in the blueberries until combined.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and smooth evenly and set aside.
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon until combined.
- Using your fingers, crumble the butter into the dry ingredients to create a crumble.
- Sprinkle onto the top of the batter.
- Place the cake into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.